Sunday 11 November 2012

Planning Form: Goop



This planning form was written with a Theme Based curriculum in mind, however I was still trying to  write it as if it was High Scope, so take what you will from it. I had a great time during this activity and so did the children. 


NAME OF STUDENT

DATE OF ACTIVITY

NAME/FOCUS OF ACTIVITY
Goop
NUMBER OF CHILDREN

AGE RANGE OF CHILDREN

ORIGINATING IDEA BASED ON OBSERVATION:
I have observed that the children have had little chance for science activities during the day, as the classroom is still being set up. Through free time activities with the children I have observed that they enjoy creating things, such as towers with blocks and pretend play animal barns. Goop would allow children to use their enjoyment in creating new things by giving them the raw materials for goop and letting them create it. I have also observed that many of the children enjoy describing their surroundings and what they are doing. This descriptive nature can be implemented and enhanced through encouraging children to describe the properties and their actions while making goop.
LEARNING ANTICIPATED
(MUST be completed, according to program model/approach)
(REFERENCES INCLUDED)
DEVELOPMENTAL SIGNIFICANCE
HIGH SCOPE KEY DEVELOPMENTAL INDICATOR (KDI)
A child aged 3 will experiment to see how things work. (DP, pg.141)
Children aged 5 understand ‘more and less than’ and similarities in objects. (DP, pg.156)


Science and Technology
45. Observing: Children observe the materials and processes in their environment.



WHERE WILL THE ACTIVITY TAKE PLACE
Kindergarten Room
WHEN IN THE DAILY ROUTINE/SCHEDULE WILL THIS OCCUR
Free Time

MATERIALS: (Be Specific)
Corn Starch, 1 to 2 boxes, water, one container/plate/tray for each child, food colouring.




BEGINNING
To begin my activity I will set up four trays or place mats and four empty containers for each child on a small group table. I will begin by adding a small amount of corn starch to the containers. I will allow four children at a time to sit at a seat and work with the materials. For myself, I will also have a tray and container as well as a cup of water and container of corn starch. I will also have different colours of food colouring for the children to add to their goop. I will encourage each child to follow safety and cleanliness rules before beginning the activity.
MIDDLE
During this activity children will be able to make their own goop using the materials set out on the table. By allowing the children to make the goop they will have a chance to explore the materials in the different states as well as be involved in the process of all stages of the activity. Being involved in the activity, with encouragements to add the materials themselves will help children build self-confidence and self-help skills.
For a beginner learner I will label using words e.g. ‘Slimy, my goop is really slimy.’ I will also mimic what the child is doing with their goop, using my own.  I will also manipulate my own goop, such as mixing the water and starch, and letting it run through my fingers to show the children a few things that they can try. For all learners I will encourage children to explore the materials and to extend their learning by asking questions such as ‘do you think we should add more water?’ and ‘is my goop the same as your goop?’ as well as ‘what might happen if you add in red food colouring?’ All questions will be asked after observing how the children interact with materials and what their own observations are. I will encourage children to examine their goop by asking questions about the state of the substance, such as ‘I see that you are mixing your goop, what does it feel like?’ ‘What do you think will happen if you add more water?’ and ‘does the goop have a smell?’ as well as ‘What do you think will happen when you pick up the goop?’

END/TRANSITION
To conclude the activity I will announce to the children that is it almost time to clean up, and say “I am going to slowly pour my goop into this container, when my goop is all gone it will be clean up time.” So that the children can continue working, I will announce when my container is half empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment