Sunday 11 November 2012

Planning Form: Measuring

This activity went horribly, I did not do what I have written here, and was totally lost. With more planning I wrote the following planning form, hopefully I have more luck next time.



NAME OF STUDENT

DATE OF ACTIVITY

NAME/FOCUS OF ACTIVITY
Measuring
NUMBER OF CHILDREN

AGE RANGE OF CHILDREN

ORIGINATING IDEA BASED ON OBSERVATION:
While interacting with the children, periodically, a number of them have mentioned sizes of things and people. An example is a child standing next to me and seeing how tall they are compared to me, mentioning that I am shorter than my supervisors, making shoe prints out of blocks and noticing if they are bigger or smaller than their feet.
LEARNING ANTICIPATED
(MUST be completed, according to program model/approach)
(REFERENCES INCLUDED)
DEVELOPMENTAL SIGNIFICANCE
HIGH SCOPE KEY DEVELOPMENTAL INDICATOR (KDI)
Children aged four understand items that are ‘big’ or ‘small’ in comparison to many objects (DAP, pg.148)`







36. Measuring: Children measure to describe, compare, and order things.






WHERE WILL THE ACTIVITY TAKE PLACE
Kindergarten Room
WHEN IN THE DAILY ROUTINE/SCHEDULE WILL THIS OCCUR
Free work time
MATERIALS: (Be Specific)
Measuring tape, string, scotch tape.



BEGINNING
After nap time I will have the children gather for circle, once all the children are seated I will begin to explain the activity. I will, on a chart piece of paper, have pieces of string taped up with my name. I will have a string cut the length of my hand, foot, leg, arm and body with the sizes written by each.
MIDDLE
I will encourage children to measure their hands, feet and bodies by having the example for them to see. By placing the string on the chart paper I will be showing the children what they can do, I will also be encouraging all children’s participation by having them tape their own strings to the paper as well to compare with one another.
I will ask the children different items that they can measure first by asking  each child what part of their bodies they would like to measure first, I will cut a sting that length, and tell each child to find one thing in the room the same length as their string/body part. Once each child finds one item I will cut strings for each child to tape to the paper with my own. I will give the children time to compare their strings before taping them to the paper and comparing them all as a class.
For beginner learners I will first cut their heights out and focus on how tall they are, I will also talk about the different lengths of strings that they have.
For medium learners I will have them compare the lengths of string that they have to other peoples, as well as to other objects in the room.
For an advanced learner I will encourage the children to use the measuring tape to see what the size of their hands, feet, bodies are. I will also encourage the children to measure or compare their strings to object in the room. To do this I will ask question such as ‘are you as tall as the shelf?’ or ‘are you shorter than the side of the table?’ I will also make comments such as ‘I see that your string is longer than Child A’s string,’ and ‘I notice that the foot for my string is bigger than the string for my hand.’

END/TRANSITION
As children finish with the activity I will tell them to place their string in their art bags if they would like to take them home.


No comments:

Post a Comment